|Language Arts – Reading
||65 minutes – (English)
80 minutes – (Spanish)
- This section measures your ability to understand, interpret and analyze a broad range of literary and informational texts.
- The selected texts range in length from approximately 400 to 600 words.
|Language Arts – Writing
||Multiple-choice questions and an essay prompt
- This section measures your skill in recognizing and producing standard American English.
- The multiple-choice section questions measure your ability to edit and revise written text.
- The essay measures your ability to generate and organize ideas in writing.
- This section measures mathematical knowledge and competencies.
- Questions are presented as practical problems and are solved by numerical operations, measurement, estimation, data interpretation and logical thinking.
- Some questions test abstract concepts such as algebraic patterns and probability.
- You may use a calculator for this section.
- This section measures your ability to use science content knowledge, apply principles of scientific inquiry, and interpret and evaluate scientific information.
- Graphs, tables and charts are used to present information and results.
- This section measures your ability to analyze and evaluate information from a variety of content areas such as history, political science, psychology, sociology, anthropology, geography and economics.
- Primary documents, posters, cartoons, timelines, maps, graphs, tables, charts and reading passages are used in questions.
Where can you get more information about test content?
Download the HiSET Test-at-a-Glance.
Can you see sample questions?
Here are some sample questions for the most current exam.