Accommodations for the HiSET® Exam
Commonly approved accommodations
You must request these accommodations prior to scheduling your test appointment. This list includes some, but not all, of the accommodations available to you.
|Audiocassette or other form of recorded audio||√|
|Scribe or keyboard entry aide||√||√|
|Additional supervised break time||√||√|
|Sign language-interpreted instructions for test takers who are deaf or hard of hearing||√||√|
Accommodations not requiring ETS approval
Not every accommodation requires prior approval from ETS. Many test centers provide items to support your testing, or allow you to bring test support items.
Items provided by ETS or test center
On the day of your test, your test center will have the following items available to everyone:
- Large print test book (14-point) and answer sheet
- Scratch paper (to be collected by test center personnel at end of testing session)
- Wheelchair access
Your test center may also be able to provide preferential seating so you can better hear instructions or cut down on distractions.
Items provided by test taker
If you need one of the following items, you must bring it with you.
- Colored transparent overlays (for paper-delivered testing only).
- Colored scratch paper (to be collected by test center personnel at end of testing session).
- Earplugs (not attached to any electronic device).
- Plain, unmarked straightedge to assist with keeping place while reading. You may use a piece of scrap paper for this purpose, but it must be returned at the end of the testing session.
- Handheld nonelectronic magnifying device (without memory or camera).
- Seat cushion/back pillow, or footstool. Item will be inspected by test center personnel before and after testing.
- Prescription medication. Must be in the prescription bottle with a label indicating your name, dosage and directions.
- Service animals.
- Medical devices (e.g., asthma inhaler, hearing aid, pacemaker, insulin pump on vibrate or silent, oxygen tank, TENS stimulator).
- Highlighter or black felt pen for essays and scratch work only.
Any health-related accommodation or modification not listed above requires approval. This includes bringing equipment, beverages or snacks into the testing room, or taking extra or extended breaks. You will have to make your request before scheduling your appointment and follow the accommodations request procedures.