Scheduling Your HiSET® Exam
The HiSET® exam is made up of five subtests. In most states you can schedule them all at once or one at a time, and you can take them in any order. The total test time is 7 hours and 5 minutes for English and 7 hours and 20 minutes for Spanish, not including breaks. Most test takers take the subtests on different days. Some schedule their appointments a few days apart, and others schedule them months apart. With the HiSET exam, you have the flexibility to create an appointment schedule that is right for you.
Do you require testing accommodations?
If you have a disability or health-related need and you require testing accommodations, you need to call ETS Disability Services at 1-855-802-2748 to schedule, reschedule or cancel your appointment.
Scheduling an appointment
There are four basic steps you need to take to schedule your HiSET exam.
- View the requirements for taking the HiSET exam in your state or jurisdiction to make sure you're eligible to take the exam.
- Find a test center near you.
- Set up your My HiSET Account.
- Schedule your appointment.
How you schedule depends on where you're taking the exam. Some locations allow scheduling only through test centers, while others also allow you to:
- schedule online through your HiSET account
- call ETS Customer Service at 1-855-MyHiSET (1-855-694-4738)
Note: A $10 fee will be applied when registering by phone.
To find out how to schedule your appointment, see your State Requirements.
Rescheduling an appointment
If you know you won't be able to go to your appointment, you can reschedule it. Rescheduling includes changing the date, time or test center. There are some policies you need to follow so you don't lose your test fee or have to pay additional fees.
- Reschedule your appointment by 11:59 p.m. local time the day before your scheduled appointment.
- Make sure the new test date is less than 12 months from the date you bought the subtest. (You have 12 months from the day you schedule your appointment to take the exam.)
- Reschedule your test in the same format. You can't switch between computer-delivered and paper-delivered testing. If you want to change the format, you'll need to cancel your test and purchase a new one.
How you reschedule your appointment depends on where you're testing. To find out how to reschedule, see your State Requirements.
Cancel an appointment
You can cancel your appointment any time, but you'll only be eligible for a refund of your test fee if you cancel it by 11:59 p.m. local time the day before your scheduled appointment. If you cancel your appointment, local test center fees and state fees are not refundable.
How you cancel your appointment depends on where you're testing. To find out how to cancel an appointment, see your State Requirements.
Retake a subtest
If you do not meet the minimum HiSET score requirements, you can take it again. You can only take a subtest up to three times in a calendar year, so we encourage you to study before scheduling your next appointment.
There are no additional ETS test fees if you retake the subtest in the same format within 12 months of the date you purchased it. However, local test center fees may apply. If you want to retake a test after the 12-month period, you'll have to pay the ETS test fee, plus any state or test center fees.
Each state or jurisdiction has its own policies for retaking a test. For example, some have a waiting period before you can retest or additional test center fees that may apply.
To find out how to schedule your new appointment, see your State Requirements.
My HiSET Account
Schedule appointments, view scores, update your profile and manage your test-taking experience.
Not sure if you’re ready?
Sign up to get resources that can help you make your decision.