Indiana HiSET® Exam Requirements
The following policies apply to anyone taking the HiSET® exam in the state of Indiana. When you schedule an appointment, you will need to confirm that you have read and understand these policies.
See the Indiana High School Equivalency (HSE) webpage for more information.
State Eligibility Requirements
To take the HiSET exam in the state of Indiana, you must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- You must be at least 18 years of age on the date of testing to take the HiSET exam without providing any additional documentation.
- If you are 16 or 17 years of age on the date of testing, you must have officially exited high school following the Indiana Department of Education (DOE) attendance requirements, using the official DOE exit form and have obtained a superintendent's signature using the DOE Exit Interview Form (Exit Interview Form).
- Residency: You must be a resident of Indiana for a minimum of 30 days immediately preceding the day of testing.
- Test Preparation or Instruction: You are not required to take HiSET test preparation courses before taking the exam.
- Identification: You must present official state and/or government-issued identification on test day at the HiSET test center. Outdated or expired identification will not be accepted. Acceptable forms of identification include:
- driver's licenses or state identification cards issued by the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles
- valid passports
- military IDs
- other forms of government-issued identification that show name, address, date of birth, signature and photograph
Make sure you read and understand all of the State Eligibility Requirements above. Below are additional policies for taking the HiSET exam in Indiana.
Fees, Payment and Refunds
- How much does it cost to take the HiSET exam in Indiana?
- Computer and paper-delivered tests: Please contact your test center for fee information.
- HiSET Remote Proctoring (R.P.): $30.25
- You will receive two retests per subtest; however, you must pay the $17.50 Virtual testing fee each time you take a subtest.
- I only have cash. How can I pay for my HiSET exam?
You must pay for the exam at the time you schedule it online or by phone, so you aren't able to pay with cash. However, if you only have cash, you may use it in one of the following ways:
- use PayPal Cash® to fund a PayPal account
- purchase a VISA®, MasterCard® or American Express® gift card
If you are purchasing a prepaid credit card or gift card, be sure to check the cards before you purchase them for any restrictions that might prevent you from using them in our registration system, such as restrictions against using the card for online purchases. To learn more about how you can use one of these payment methods, download the Cash Options for HiSET® Test Takers flyer.
- How do I pay for the HiSET exam if I am scheduling through my online account?
If you are scheduling online, you may pay by:
- debit card or credit card (American Express, Discover®, JCB®, MasterCard and VISA)
- How do I pay for the HiSET exam if I am scheduling my appointment by phone?
If you are scheduling by phone, you may pay by debit card or credit card (American Express, Discover, JCB, MasterCard, VISA and Card).
You can't use a PayPal account to pay over the phone.
- What is the refund policy?
The refund policy is as follows:
- Test Fee: You are eligible for a full refund of your test fee if you cancel at any time up until 11:59 p.m. local time the day before your scheduled appointment.
- State, Jurisdiction or Test Center Fee: You are not eligible for a test center fee refund. These fees are not refundable.
- If you are absent or arrive too late to take the test at the test administration scheduled, you are not entitled to a refund. If the missed appointment was made using one of your retake credits, the credit will not be returned to you.
- What if something unexpected happens on test day, I don't cancel and I cannot make my scheduled appointment? Can I get a refund?
ETS understands that things happen that are outside your control and has processes in place to evaluate and approve refunds for ETS-collected HiSET test fees. Exception cases are handled and evaluated for refund eligibility on a case-by-case basis and include:
- events caused by ETS, the test center or test taker
- events beyond the control of all parties (e.g., severe weather, power outages)
- Can I take the HiSET exam on paper or computer?
The HiSET exam is available in both computer- and paper-delivered formats in Indiana. However, both formats may not be available at every test center. Make sure you verify that the format you prefer is available at your selected test center before scheduling your testing appointment.
- If I started testing in English, can I switch to or retake my remaining subject tests in Spanish?
No. Once you start testing in one language, you will have to complete and pass the battery in the same language. The same applies if you start testing in Spanish.
- How do I request accommodations so I can be successful on the HiSET exam?
If you have a disability or health-related needs, you must request accommodations and have them approved before scheduling your appointment. For more information, see Disability Accommodations.
- Where do I send my request for testing accommodations?
Send all completed requests for testing accommodations to:Mail: ETS Disability Services
P.O. Box 6054
Princeton, NJ 08541-6054Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Scheduling an Appointment
- How can I schedule/change a testing appointment?
Scheduling your appointment:
Once you're ready to take the test, you can schedule your appointment in one of three ways:
- online through your HiSET account
- by contacting your test center
- by calling ETS Customer Service
You must contact ETS to schedule your appointment if you:
- Have a disability or health-related needs and require accommodation. Contact ETS Disability Services.
Changing an appointment:
To reschedule your appointment, you may log in to your account, contact your test center or call an ETS representative at 1-855-MyHiSET (1-855-694-4738). Read the policies on rescheduling, canceling or retaking the test included on this page.
- Can I take the subtests in any order?
- Can I take all five subtests in one day?
Yes, but we do not encourage taking all five subtests in one day. Your performance on the test may be negatively affected. However, if you would like to, contact your local test center for availability.
- If I am 16 or 17 years old, can I schedule an appointment to take the HiSET exam?
If you are age 16 or 17, you must meet the following requirements to take the HiSET exam:
- What can I do through my online account?
Once you create an account, you can:
- update your account information (address, phone, email)
- schedule, reschedule or cancel an appointment
- view your approved accommodations (if applicable)
- view and print your Comprehensive Score Report and Individual Test Reports
- What are the reschedule policies?
You can reschedule your appointment as often as needed. However, it's better to be sure you're prepared to take the test and available on the testing date, so that you don't have to reschedule.
If you need to reschedule, make sure you follow the policies below, so you don't lose your test fee or have to pay additional fees.
- To avoid forfeiting your test fee, you must reschedule your appointment any time up until 11:59 p.m. local time the day before your scheduled appointment.
- How many times can I reschedule my testing appointment?
You may be able to reschedule your testing appointment as often as needed. However, it is better to be sure you are prepared to take the test and available on the testing date, so that it is not necessary for you to reschedule.
- What are the cancellation policies?
- You can cancel your appointment any time, but you'll only be eligible for a refund if you cancel it by 11:59 p.m. local time the day before your scheduled appointment. See refund policies information above.
- You can cancel your appointment online through your HiSET account or by calling ETS Customer Service at 1-855-MyHiSET (1-855-694-4738).
- If you have a disability or health-related needs and you require testing accommodations, you must call ETS to cancel your appointment at 1-855-802-2748 (toll-free), Monday–Friday, 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m. ET.
- What are the retest policies?
The Indiana retest policies are as follows:
- You can only take each subtest up to three times in a calendar year.
- There are no additional ETS test fees if you retake the subtest within 12 months of the date you purchased it. However, test center fees will apply.
- Retake credits may only be used for the same test format as the original test.
- You must wait 30 days before retesting on the same subject.
- What do I need to bring on the day of my test?
Make sure you have these things on test day:
- Acceptable and valid ID as required by Indiana. Make sure the name on your ID appears EXACTLY as it does on the profile you created in your HiSET account when you scheduled your HiSET exam.
- Layered clothing that will allow you to adapt to a range of room temperatures.
- Proof of residency if a non-Indiana address is on your ID as you must be a resident of Indiana for a minimum of 30 days immediately preceding the day of testing.
Please note: Cell phones, smartphones (e.g., Android™, BlackBerry® or iPhone® devices, etc.), PDAs and/or any other electronic, photographic, scanning, recording or listening devices are not permitted at the test center at all. For a full list of items you shouldn't bring, review Your HiSET Test Day Checklist.
- What do I do if I have health-related needs that require an exception to the test center policies?
If you have a health-related need requiring you to bring equipment, beverages or snacks into the testing room or to take extra or extended breaks, you need to request accommodations before scheduling your appointment. Find out how you can request an accommodation.
- How do I know if I've passed the HiSET exam?
Each of the five subtests in the HiSET exam is scored on a scale of 1–20. In order to pass you must do all four of the following:
- Achieve a score of at least 8 on each of the five individual subtests
- Score at least 2 out of 6 on the essay portion of the writing test
- Have a total combined score on all five subtests of at least 45
- Pass the entire battery in one language: English or Spanish
Some states may set passing scores that are higher, but under no circumstances can you pass with a total score lower than 45 on the exam.
- What does my individual test scoring report tell me?
For each individual test scoring report, it indicates:
- your score, the total possible score and whether you passed
- the minimum score required to pass
- the percentage of items you answered correctly
- your college- and career-readiness score
- What does passing mean?
Candidates who have received a passing score on the HiSET exam have demonstrated a level of performance that exceeds the minimum level of performance typically required to graduate from high school.
- How should I interpret my score?
If the HiSET exam were to be administered to a random sample of high school seniors, it is estimated that approximately 60% would pass on the first attempt. If you receive a score of 45 or higher we estimate that you would be in approximately the top 40% of graduating high school seniors nationally.
- How are passing rates determined?
A score equivalency table was established between the HiSET exam and a nationally administered high school equivalency examination. Passing rates (60%) were chosen so as to be roughly equivalent to those on the nationally administered examination.
- Did I demonstrate college and career readiness?
Your individual test score report also indicates whether or not you have achieved the score required to demonstrate college and career readiness — with at least 15 out of 20 on any of the subtests. For the Language Arts–Writing test, you must score at least a total score of 15 with a 4 on the essay.
- What does college and career readiness mean?
Students who have scored at the college- and career-readiness level have shown a level of performance similar to the minimum level required to succeed in college-level, credit-bearing courses.
- What information is provided so I can try to improve my score on the HiSET exam?
On the HiSET subtests, questions are grouped into content categories. To help you in future study or in preparing to retake the test, your individual test score report shows the percentage of items answered correctly in each content category. This information might suggest areas where it would be worthwhile to concentrate your efforts.
- How do I challenge my scores?
If you feel your HiSET scores were reported incorrectly or do not accurately reflect your performance, you can have them reviewed for a fee. The following score review services are available:
Constructed-response (Essay) Scoring Review — $25 per essay
A trained scorer will review your essay and original score received to determine whether it is consistent with HiSET Language Arts–Writing test scoring rules. If there is a change in your score, the new score (which may be higher or lower than your originally reported score) will be reported to you and your state or jurisdiction, and your score review fee will be refunded. Your essay is not available for disclosure. Please note that each essay will be reviewed only once. This service is available for both computer- and paper-delivered tests.
Multiple-choice Scoring Review — $25 per test
Paper-delivered Tests — Multiple-choice responses will be hand scored by our trained Resolutions team. If there is a change in your score, the score will be reported to you and your state or jurisdiction, and your score review fee will be refunded. Your test responses are not available for disclosure. Please note that each test will be reviewed only once.
Computer-delivered Tests — Computer-delivered tests will not be reviewed because those answers are scored once at the test center, then transmitted to ETS where they are verified before being reported.
To request either of the services listed above, please call ETS Customer Service at 1-855-MyHiSET (1-855-694-4738).