Your HiSET® Score Reports
Did you pass?
Each state sets its own passing criteria. To know what you have to do to pass in your state, check Requirements by State or Jurisdiction.
Most states use the HiSET® passing criteria which means to pass the HiSET exam, you need to:
- Score at least 8 out of 20 on each of the five subtests
- Score at least 2 out of 6 on the essay
- Achieve a total scaled score on all five HiSET subtests of at least 45 out of 100
The HiSET pass score is based on a national study of high school juniors and seniors and indicates that 60 percent of graduating high school students would pass the HiSET exam.
Your score reports show whether or not you passed.
What is a scaled score?
Most tests we take in school report a percentage score or raw scores — in other words, the number right versus the number wrong. This method of scoring works well if there is one version of a test. But the HiSET exam uses multiple versions called "forms." So, we can't do a simple comparison of number right versus number wrong because the test you took might have been slightly easier or slightly harder than the test the person sitting next to you took. To make it fair, we use a "scaled score."
A scaled score is a scoring method that makes it easier to compare scores across different forms of the same test. We get it by statistically adjusting and converting raw scores onto a common scale. This means on an easier test form, you need to answer slightly more questions correctly to get a particular scaled score. For a more difficult test, you can get the same scaled score by answering slightly fewer questions correctly.
Your passing score of 8 doesn't mean you got eight questions right, it means given the difficulty of the test form you took, you achieved an 8 on a scale. It also means if you took a different version of the test tomorrow without more study, it is likely you would get the same score. A scaled score makes it easy to keep tests fair and to support retesting.
What are the different HiSET score reports?
Your HiSET test results are available in a set of reports.
- Individual Test Report — You'll get one of these after each subtest. It will include your score for a single subtest and information about what that score means.
- Comprehensive Score Report — This is a cumulative record of all your HiSET results. You'll get an updated report after each subtest if your score improves. The report shows the highest score you earned on each subtest.
How can you send score reports?
You can view and print all of your reports through your HiSET account. If you have any questions or need help with this, you can contact your test center.
If you need a Comprehensive Score Report or Individual Score Report sent to a college, scholarship program or other organization, contact ETS at 1-855-MyHiSET (1-855-694-4738). ETS will send up to three score reports to a college, scholarship program or other designated institution on your behalf. If you need additional reports, you can access your score reports through your HiSET account, print the report and send to whomever you choose.
What is on the Comprehensive Score Report?
The Comprehensive Score Report is a cumulative record of all of your HiSET test-taker information. You have one Comprehensive Score Report that is updated after each subtest if your score improves. It includes:
- date of the report
- test dates
- test status (the number of subtests you have taken)
- if you met the three passing criteria
- cumulative record of highest scaled scores on each subtest
- indication of whether you passed the HiSET exam
What is on the Individual Test Reports?
Individual Test Reports include your score for a single subtest and an explanation of what that score means. You have an Individual Test Report for each subtest you've taken, so you may have several. They are listed in your account by test date. These reports include the following information:
- test date
- subtest scaled score result
- minimum scaled score result required to pass
- if you achieved the minimum scaled score to pass
- if you demonstrated college and career readiness by achieving a scaled score of 15 out of 20
- Performance Summary by individual competency
My HiSET Account
Schedule appointments, view scores, update your profile and manage your test-taking experience.
Not sure if you’re ready?
Sign up to get resources that can help you make your decision.