HiSET® Identification (ID) Requirements

The ID requirements below are ETS's requirements. Your state or jurisdiction may have its own ID requirements or policies. For more information, contact your test center or check your state or jurisdiction requirements.

With few exceptions, ID documents must meet all of the following requirements. Each ID document must:

  • be an original document; photocopied documents are not acceptable
  • show your full name
  • meet ID requirements for the state or jurisdiction in which you are testing

Additionally, the name on your ID must match exactly the name you used when you created your account. For more information, see The Name You Use When Creating Your Account.

Primary ID requirements

The last name on your primary ID must match (excluding hyphens and accents) the name on your registration confirmation.

The following ID documents are acceptable for admission to a test center:

  • Passport
  • Government-issued driver's license or temporary license
  • State ID card (including those issued by the motor vehicle agencies)
  • National ID card
  • Military ID card

* Note: some ID requirements vary by state so be sure to check your state's ID requirement policies.

Supplemental ID documents

You should always bring a supplemental ID in case the test center administrator questions the primary ID document you have provided. The following ID documents are generally acceptable as supplemental ID:

  • Government-issued ID card (including, but not limited to, those listed under Primary ID Documents earlier in this section)
  • Student ID card

Supplemental ID documents can't be used to resolve last name discrepancies.

Unacceptable ID documents

The following documents are not acceptable as primary or supplemental ID under any circumstances:

  • Any document that is photocopied
  • International driver's license
  • Draft classification card
  • International student ID
  • Credit/debit card of any kind
  • Notary-prepared letter or document
  • Birth certificate
  • Social Security card

Driver's license renewals

If your driver's license has expired but you present it along with your original Department of Public Safety renewal certificate, these two documents together are acceptable if the names on both documents match exactly. If you are issued a temporary paper license in lieu of a renewal certificate, it is acceptable only if it is accompanied by a supplemental ID. State requirements may vary, so please be sure to check your state requirement page.

If you are in the U.S. military, and the expiration of your driver's license has been extended or deferred by the issuing state, the license can be used as supplemental ID along with your U.S. Military ID. Depending on the state, the extension or deferral may consist of either a sticker affixed to the license, the designation "military" printed in place of an expiration date, or a separate document carried with the license, usually with a notation that the driver's license is valid until a specific time period after discharge from service.