Where is a High School Equivalency Credential Accepted?

A portable credential

Everywhere! A high school equivalency (HSE) credential is issued by the state, not by the test provider. Just as one state will honor another state's high school diploma, they will also honor another state's HSE credential. No matter where you take it or which test you take, your HSE credential will be accepted. This is what “portable” means.

Is the HiSET® exam recognized by federal programs?

Yes. The HiSET® program has worked with government agencies to make sure HiSET test takers can use the credentials they earn to meet federal education requirements, such as qualifying for federal student aid in the form of grants, loans and work-study funds or demonstrating HSE for government programs or groups. This includes:

  • Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®)
  • U.S. Military
  • U.S. Department of Labor Job Corps Program